[Xastir] New capability: 2008 Tiger Shapefile street maps

Richard Polivka, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 19 18:10:48 EDT 2009

As being one of the instigators of this project, I only use the following:

edges
areawater
arealm
pointlm

There also was previous a question concerning layering. I created a
directory in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps called "tiger2008". Under this
are four directories, "edges", "areawater", "arealm", and "pointlm".
Inside each directory are the files for the areas that I want to cover.
So when it came to layering, all I had to do was assign the layer
numbers to the subdirectories and not to the individual files and away I
go. Edges was always on top, ...lm's in the middle, and areawater on the
bottom of the stack. The WX radar was always below this stack and the
SBW stuff was always on top.

I have not been able to test the latest CVS to the fullest on my laptop
as I do not have all the TIGER files that I would need on since I
installed the larger HD. I also have the original reworks of the
dbfawk's for tiger2008 still on my system as well so I can compare the
CVS release to what I had.

Doing the shapefile research and just trying to cover all angles was a
fun piece of research and some said a bit of overkill but it was
necessary as a self-documenting file and process in attempt to present a
quality piece of work to the community.

May the community enjoy.

73's from 807,

Richard, N6NKO