[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 41, Issue 52

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 20 11:29:09 EDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, C. Griffin wrote:

> How hard would it be to modify the code with the following logic fore dbfawk
> files ...
>
> 1. Search map directory
> 2. Search user folder (~/.xastir/config)
> 3. Search common config folder (share/xastir/config)
> 4. Default behavior

I believe it does this now:

1. Search map directory
3. Search common config folder (share/xastir/config)
4. Default behavior

So the only added bit would be #2.

I'm not one of the dbfawk authors, so I'll pass on making these
particular mods as I might mess up something else.  It should be
easy to do for those familiar with it.

I'd like to see per-user dbfawk's put somewhere _other_than_
"~/.xastir/config/" as I already have a lot of files in there,
either a subdirectory below that or a sister directory to it.

Also:  The current dbfawk scheme allows global matching files and
per-map matching files.  I guess we don't need per-user-per-map
files do we?  So we'd just need the global per-user matching files
added in the search order listed above (#2).

FWIW:  We have the same sort of problem with any other user-modified
files (other than maps) that go into the "/usr/local/share/xastir"
heirarchy (default).  Anything you modify there may be overwritten
by same-named files during a make install, or by running some of the
scripts in the xastir/scripts directory.  That last is probably
_not_ a problem, but I just figured I'd mention it for completeness.
Maybe a more general solution would be in order if it would be easy
to do at this point.

People have also asked for a per-user map heirarchy.  This would
save a lot of mucking with permissions and SUDO or "su root"
operations for the average user.  Again, this fits into the
more-general-fix category.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer