[Xastir] Problems with lighting up Counties, NWS files

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 17:33:03 EDT 2009

--- On Sat, 8/1/09, Dale Seaburg <kg5lt at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Jason Godfrey wrote:
> > Silly question, but I haven't been able to find the
> answer the answer.
> > Do you need to be connected to an internet server to
> get these alerts,
> > or is it possible for them to show up over RF?
>
> OK, equally silly question - I've been away from xastir for
> a few weeks - where do I go to get the updated shapefiles
> and dbfawk file?   My memory seems to be a
> leaky bucket...  hi hi  Actually, I've got too
> many irons in the fire.  As they say, "Jack of all
> trades, Master of none."

Answer to first silly question:  Only if your local I-gate is allowing the NWS message to pass from the Internet to RF.  Unless that happens you can't get them over RF.

Answer to second silly question:  The dbfawk file is in with the Xastir source code on CVS.  So you need to do a CVS update to get them.  The shapefiles can be obtained using the get-nws script as part of the Xastir source code or directly from the NWS GIS services:

http://www.weather.gov/geodata/catalog/county/html/county.htm (county level)

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/geodata/ (all GIS data)