[Xastir] Problem with fonts

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Aug 24 17:24:18 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 03:20:07PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <nacross at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I am running Xastit 1.9.4 on a Ubuntu 8.10 with kernel  2.6.27-14
>
> I start the application as root using the following command: xastir &
>
> As soon I issue this command I start getting the following warning on
> the terminal:
> ---------
> Warning:
>     Name: create_appshell text_output
>     Class: XmTextField
>     Character '\156' not supported in font.  Discarded.
> ---------
> This warning repeats every station it hears.

This is a frequently asked question, and the answer is in the FAQ, which
you should have as /usr/local/share/doc/xastir/FAQ if you installed from
source.

> When the GUI is loaded it also shows this small warning, which I captured.
>
> http://yfrog.com/4xxastirwarningp
>
> If I close, both terminal and warning, xastir keeps running fine. But
> I imagine that all those warning are wasting CPU in the background.

*That* one I've never seen.  Looks like a garbled entry in the fonts list to
me, but someone else will have to answer that.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation