[Xastir] _XmGetDefaultDisplay cannot be used

Dick Repasky dick.repasky at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 14:45:29 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I've compiled Xastir 195 May 2009 on a Mac running OS 10.4 and MacPorts,
using instructions in the Xastir wiki and openmotif.  All the
dependencies and Xastir compile just fine, but when I start xastir from
an xterm I get the following error.

_XmGetDefaultDisplay cannot be used prior to VendorS.Initialize, returns
NULL
Error: Couldn't find per display information

Googling, I couldn't resolve the issue other than to find out that two
independent sources link the issue to the Xt library. One of them said
the following.

     What does the error "Couldn't find per display information"

     mean?
     [Last modified: Mar 96]

     Answer: Xt often needs information about the current X display.  It

     generates this error when it couldn't find the display pointer.
     Common causes applications accidentally destroying widgets twice or
     trying to generate fake, incomplete events with XSendEvent().

When I build rxvt using macports and run it from an xterm, it starts
just fine.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dick, KC9JLU

P.S. Here is the output of the config script.

options and external libraries:

MINIMUM OPTIONS:
   ShapeLib (Vector maps) ................. : yes

RECOMMENDED OPTIONS:
   GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick (Raster maps) : yes (GraphicsMagick)
   pcre (Shapefile customization) ......... : yes
   dbfawk (Shapefile customization) ....... : yes
   rtree indexing (Shapefile speedups) .... : yes
   map caching (Raster map speedups) ...... : yes
   internet map retrieval ................. : yes (libcurl)

FOR THE ADVENTUROUS:
   AX25 (Linux Kernel I/O Drivers) ........ : no
   libproj (USGS Topos & Aerial Photos) ... : yes
   GeoTiff (USGS Topos & Aerial Photos) ... : yes
   Festival (Text-to-speech) .............. : no
   GDAL/OGR (Obtuse map formats) .......... : yes
   GPSMan/gpsmanshp (GPS downloads) ....... : no

xastir will be installed in /usr/local/bin.
Type 'make' to build Xastir (Use 'gmake' instead on some systems).