[Xastir] Xastir with VMware

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Dec 17 13:56:50 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:37:48PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <patrickdk at patrickdk.com> flavor, containing:
> Not saying this doesn't work or anything but: :)
> I have been having the issue, with ubuntu 9.04 jaunty (running it on
> my mythtv system, and won't upgrade to karmic till I verify mythtv
> updates are ok)
>
> I was using a very old slackware box, with custom compiled xastir on
> it, it worked for along time, till I upgraded xastir at some point,
> and it started randomly crashing once every day. Then I finally
> decommissioned that machine and setup xastir on ubuntu 9.04, same
> issue. Was really suprised, thought it was an issue with a dependency.
>
> The only abnormal thing I'm doing is feeding xastir with the full raw
> aprs-is feed.
>
> And using cron to restart doesn't help, cause it will close any
> messages people send to me, so I wouldn't know about them.

Ok, this is a sad thing to hear.

I built an Ubuntu 9.10 virtualbox virtual machine a week or two ago when I
was fixing the ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick annoyance, and still have it.  I
will set it up sometime in the next few days to run Xastir continuously until
I reproduce this craziness.  Not sure I can track it down, but I'll try.

It's got to be some unstable library issue, but who knows which one?

Feh.

Question:  Are you guys using Xastir CVS or Xastir as installed by the Ubuntu
repositories?  As I recall, Ubuntu repositories have only 1.9.4, which is
pretty long in the tooth right now.   Regardless, any fix
that happens (if it happens) will be on CVS and you can bet it'll take a year
or two to make it into the packaged binary.  So if you're running from the
apt-installed version,  please try uninstalling the repository version
and building from CVS (remember that the .xastir directory will be full of
invalid references to /usr/share, so you'll have to move it out of the way and
restore your settings, and you'll have to move your custom maps from /usr/share/
xastir to /usr/local/share/xastir).   You might luck out and find that the
issue has been fixed in CVS already (I dimly recall some instability issues
related to bad pointer references a few releases back).