[Xastir] Compile 1.9.5 on Cygwin?

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 11:35:23 EST 2009

--- On Sun, 2/1/09, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> CHRISTINE ANDERSON wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I got this
> compile error when compiling Xastir under Cygwin.  I was
> using ImageMagick and I have been trying to change to
> GraphicsMagick and have not been able to get GraphicsMagick
> to work yet.  Could this message be a problem between
> ImagePagick and GraphicsMagick?  Or a problem in Cygwin
> Motif support?
>
> I ran into the same error when compiling under recent
> cygwin a few weeks
> ago. The probable fix is in the CVS version of
> README.win32, at least it
> worked for me. The relevant part is pasted below.
>
>   Tapio
>

> ------8<-------
>
> NOTE:  If you get the below errors during the compile it
> means that
> Cygwin has changed one of their packages to be incompatible
> with the
> rest (and needs to change a lot more of their packages to
> correspond):
> /usr/include/Xm/Print.h:28:34: X11/extensions/Print.h: No
> such file or
> directory
> In file included from /usr/include/Xm/XmAll.h:79,
>                  from alert.c:308:
> /usr/include/Xm/Print.h:40: error: parse error before
> "XPContext"
> /usr/include/Xm/Print.h:43: error: parse error before
> '}' token
> /usr/include/Xm/Print.h:61: error: parse error before
> "XPFinishProc"
> make[3]: *** [alert.o] Error 1
> A temporary fix for the above errors (until Cygwin gets
> their act
> together) is to do the following:
>     Launch the Cygwin setup program
>     When you get to the list of packages change the list to
> FULL mode
>     Uncheck "Hide Obsolete Packages"
>     Scroll down the list until you find xorg-x11-devel
>     Click on the word "keep" until it changes to
> a 6.x version of the file
>     Click Next and finish the setup
>     Unfortunately you'll have to perform the same fix
> each time you
>       use the Cygwin setup program or it will
> "upgrade" to the
>       broken package again.

Unfortunately this fix is entirely dependent on the Cygwin mirrors chosen.  If the mirror still has a copy of the 6.x version of xorg-x11-devel then you'll be ok.  If not, there's no way to get around the bug.  I tried this same fix for a full weekend a couple weeks ago but I couldn't find a mirror that would let me go that far back with the versions.