[Xastir] Compile 1.9.5 on Cygwin?

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 12:51:06 EST 2009

--- On Sun, 2/1/09, Curt, WE7U wrote:
9, 12:44 PM
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Alex Carver wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately this fix is entirely dependent on the
> Cygwin mirrors
> > chosen.  If the mirror still has a copy of the 6.x
> version of
> > xorg-x11-devel then you'll be ok.  If not,
> there's no way to get
> > around the bug.  I tried this same fix for a full
> weekend a couple
> > weeks ago but I couldn't find a mirror that would
> let me go that
> > far back with the versions.
>
> Another method is to run VMWare Player and one of the
> vmware images
> that contains Xastir on Linux.  More reliable long-term
> than Cygwin
> if you've got enough memory and horsepower to run two
> OS'es at once.
>
> If no, there's always the possibility of piecing
> together an old PC
> out of spare parts and installing Linux.

Amazingly enough an upgrade of Cygwin on a machine that compiled fine still seems to work.  So the obsolete package never gets removed.  But it's pretty obvious that the Cygwin people forgot something and broke it.  I imagine it'll get cleared up after a few more rounds of rewrites.

There are certain advantages to Cygwin over the VM.  For starters, you don't have to wrestle with the configuration of system hardware to make the VM work (network, serial ports, etc.)  It just works right away under Cygwin.

I've never had an opportunity to try out a VM version of Xastir but I do now have a copy of the Xastir image and I just have to download the VM player to see what happens.  My Linux machine that was running Xastir has a nasty hardware problem somewhere and it locks up.  I think it's several bad capacitor on the motherboard.  I found one leaking.