[Xastir] EeeBuntu v3 Live Bugs

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 13 07:48:11 EDT 2009

I downloaded this CD image last night via Torrent as the other HTTP was down.  Its a bit disappointing.

I tried it on 2 machines so far. One was a Toshiba 1.6 Ghz Laptop and the other is a new Asus EeePc 900HA
Both these machines rendered the same results. Xastir does run up ok although I did not have it attached to a TNC or Network.

I did not find a MD5 or SHA1 published anywhere to see if the download was good so I just burned it to try. The Check CD feature showed I have a good CD it seems.

Whats the problem then ? This now refers to the EeePc experience which is essentially identical to the Toshiba laptop.

1: The boot frooze up completely at the "Configuring Network Interfaces" point and nothing would get it happening past this except a "Ctrl Alt Delete"
2: After the 3 fingered salute it continued and Killed Main processes rcs and rc6
3: A comment regards a Fatal error looking for the Kernel module asus_eeepc not found then flys past.
4: The GUI then starts up ok with sound but theres no obvious way to configure the standard Wireless card in the 900HA . It does not appear to be listed.
Its Atheros so not in the Ubuntu Kernel at a guess.
5: So on shutdown I choose Restart and the CD ejects ok. It leaves me with a screen mess from out of this world and no way to restart or shutdown except holding down the power switch
for the traditional 7 seconds. A messy shutdown indeed.

Ive seen stuff like this before on Live CDs. Shutdown issues are not uncommon but often show a lack of testing . The lack of the Kernel module is alarming and may explain the lack of wireless support.

Was this CD meant to support the EeePc or was it just put out as a general Distro using the EeeBuntu base ?
This is my first experience with EeeBuntu on a EeePC so I really dont know where the Projects progress is at. I have heard of Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) , maybee this is worth a look.
I should download the full version of EeeBuntu and see just what its all about as well.

Theres some comments. Sorry I would not install this for anything. I get more usability and configurabliity by booting Ubuntu 9.04 on the EeePc .. I realise that this CD is based on the BASE version of EeeBuntu and is therefore stripped down. But the amount of stripping appears to have perhaps made it impractical.

Tony  Hunt  VK5AH