[Xastir] EeeBuntu v3 Live Bugs

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 20:58:38 EDT 2009

On 7/13/09, Tony Hunt <wavetel at internode.on.net> wrote:
> I downloaded this CD image last night via Torrent as the other HTTP was
> down.  Its a bit disappointing.

Hi Tony, I thought I would answer some of your questions as they apply
to the GOOD version of the eeebuntu live image. (and eeebuntu in
general)

> Was this CD meant to support the EeePc or was it just put out as a general
> Distro using the EeeBuntu base ?

The CD is simply the eeebuntu base CD with Xastir added (from source).
 As I understand it, eeebuntu started out supporting the eeePC and
then moved on to cover other netbooks, so version 3.0 is supposed to
work on other brands.

> This is my first experience with EeeBuntu on a EeePC so I really dont know
> where the Projects progress is at. I have heard of Ubuntu Netbook Remix
> (UNR) , maybee this is worth a look.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix is the netbook distro available directly from
Ubuntu's website.  I tried it on my eeePC, and it was OK, but the
kernel doesn't support all of the function keys.  Also, it had an
annoying "feature" of auto-maxmizing every window.  Eeebuntu 3.0 also
comes in a netbook remix flavor that is very similar, but all of the
keys work due thanks to the netbook kernel, and it doesn't
auto-maximize everything.

> I should download the full version of EeeBuntu and see just what its all about as well.

The full version comes in either the "netbook remix" flavor or
"standard".  Standard appears to be the same as the base version
except with more applications bundled.  Eeebuntu Standard and Base
have a gnome desktop similar to Ubuntu, but the icons and text are
smaller so that more things can fit on a smaller screen.  I guess that
can be good or bad depending on the condition of the user's eyes.

The netbook remix has a customized desktop that's hard for me to
describe - I'm sure there are screen shots on both Eeebuntu's and
Ubuntu's web sites that show what it looks like.

Regards,
Lee