[Xastir] NWS Warning Maps

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Sun Jun 21 17:46:31 EDT 2009

On Jun 20, 2009, at 11:08 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Dale Seaburg wrote:
>
>> If I understand Gerry correctly, this script has to be run
>> regularly to keep the NWS data reasonably current, correct?
>
> Not our get_NWSdata script...  It is only updated a few times a
> year, when someone notices it not working correctly or that the NWS
> has put out new files.

OK.  Now, I am confused.  Here is what Gerry said:

---------------------------

I can't do it before Monday (real bad connectivity 'til I get to
Boulder) but I'll make shapefiles available for download from
mesonet.tamu.edu for warnings, updated every 15 minutes (for mow, may
make them more frequent depending on load).  Should have done that a
long time ago.

I'll post the page.  These will be shapefiles, with names consistent
with the type of short-term warning.  If I'm real good, I can also
create a counties-outline shapefile, although we are now all
officially doing storm-based (polygon) files.

I also believe that NWS now makes these available.  google for 'NWS
warning gis' and see if that doesn't help.  Like this: http://
www.weather.gov/regsci/gis/shapefiles/

gerry

----------------------------

As you can see in the first paragraph, I assumed from the 15 minute
update interval, that the get_NWSdata script would have to be run,
too.  I have not looked at the shape files, but perhaps they know
when to get updates, and have the URL built-in to accomplish this.
If we're talking about county weather alert data, they need to be
updated often during the bad weather, right?

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding on my part as to how the NWS
warning data updates xastir maps.  Please clear up my befuddled
thinking. . . . .

>> BTW, I had to use 'sudo' to allow writing to the xastir/Counties
>> path.  I hope I have my xastir set up correctly.
>
> It makes sense as they normally go in
> /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties and are owned by root.

Good, just confirmation on what I thought about my install.  Thanks.

Clueless-on weather-alerts-73's - Dale.  KG5LT