[Xastir] Local offline maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 10 12:00:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

>> 			2) are there any good offline maps of a given area
>> that have some reasonable zoom ability?
>
> Yes.  Tigermap data in Shapefile format.

I should have mentioned that my answer was WRT street maps, for the
U.S.

For Topo maps of the U.S. or Canada there are free maps that work
well.  I have the whole set for WA and part of OR.  The Canadian
topo's are easy to get via an Xastir script (the whole set comes in
at once, make sure you've got the hard drive space before you
begin).

For street maps of Canada there's a set of maps that work for that.

Outside the U.S. and Canada you may be forced to convert UI-View
maps for use by Xastir.  We have a script for that as well.

Most people start with the online maps though, 'cuz it's easier.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer