[Xastir] hangups after downloading updated NWS shape files?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 10 12:07:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, kevin.paetzold wrote:

> I now believe (I may be wrong but evidence is piling up) that the problem
> seems to be the result of my using the new get_NWSdata script which seems to
> download a new/different set of NWS shape files.  When I go back to the old
> shapefiles the problem seems to go away.

I haven't tried the new shapefiles yet, but by any chance have you
run any of the shapefile tools against the maps to see if one or
more of them may be corrupt?

Shapelib has always had a problem where if one or more of the maps
is corrupt, it dies, taking the app compiled with it down too.
Every once in a while I'll get a set of Shapefile maps that are bad
and have this problem.  Hasn't happened for a few years, but the
possibility is always there.

It's also possible that Xastir needs to be tweaked somehow to use
new maps that NWS is putting out, but that sort of thing doesn't
usually take us down.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer