[Xastir] maps, shp and jpegs

George karayannis m3rl1n at otenet.gr
Tue Mar 10 15:11:27 EDT 2009

Hi all,

as said in a previous message, I am quite new to both Linux (Ubuntu 8.10
Distro) and Xastir (as added by Synaptic), previous OS was winXP and
APRS work was done on uiview32-agwpe. Being a newbie i am a priori
asking the group for understanding.

As discussed in a previous message, I have already added perl 5,
Imagemagick and Graphicmagick, and being located in Greece (ie no
Tigermaps will do) made numerous attempts with 'The Script'. This ends
up with a .geo file, that I copy with gksudo nautilus
to /usr/share/xastir/maps, along with the rest. So far no joy at having
xastir show the uiview-derived jpeg maps.

The only success I have so far is incorporating .shp files for Greece
and Europe, as found @ downloads.cloudmade.com. These work nicely.

However it would be nice not to have the stockpile of uiview maps go to
waste, so any input on my predicament will most certainly be welcome.

Cheers

George SV4LAX
QTH Volos, Greece
loc:KM19LI