[Xastir] Local offline maps

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Tue Mar 10 22:14:56 EDT 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:00:20 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Local offline maps
> To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
>
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
>>> 			2) are there any good offline maps of a given area
>>> that have some reasonable zoom ability?
>>
>> Yes.  Tigermap data in Shapefile format.
>
> I should have mentioned that my answer was WRT street maps, for the
> U.S.
>
> For Topo maps of the U.S. or Canada there are free maps that work
> well.  I have the whole set for WA and part of OR.  The Canadian
> topo's are easy to get via an Xastir script (the whole set comes in
> at once, make sure you've got the hard drive space before you
> begin).
>
> For street maps of Canada there's a set of maps that work for that.
>
> Outside the U.S. and Canada you may be forced to convert UI-View
> maps for use by Xastir.  We have a script for that as well.
>
> Most people start with the online maps though, 'cuz it's easier.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
> http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
>    Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
> Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
> The world DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate system!"

Thanks, Curt, for the info and advice (RTFM).  I have been away from
Linux and Xastir for waaay too long.  I should have known better and
gone looking for help files.  I vaguely remembered something about a
maps readme file, but it didn't enter my pea-brain until you jogged
my memory.

After reading the README.MAPS, I settled on the Tiger 2006 SE maps
and downloaded Gerry's work from the tamu website for Texas (1.2gb).
I have loaded them and they seem to work as well as can be expected.
The online Tigermaps have nice colorization detail that are missing
from the converted Tiger maps from Gerry's fine work.  Maybe, when I
(ever) get caught up with work, I can take a stab at adding the
colorizations that the online Tigermaps have.

Also, I should have added that I am using the VMWare/Xastir combo for
the PC (TC1100 Tablet) that will be used by the club at the EOC - I
have the Hardy release.  For my experimentation, I am dual-booting
into ubuntu on my desktop to do the initial testing and debugging.
Once I feel comfortable, I will upload the TX.zip file to the
TC1100.  Long-term, I may convert the TC1100 to a dual-boot machine.
I think it will serve the club better.  But, most folk here are
barely Windows-savvy, hence my initial VMWare pick.

The maps help file was very helpful, Curt.  Many thanks for steering
me in the right direction.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT