[Xastir] hangups after downloading updated NWS shape files?

kevin.paetzold kevin.paetzold at townisp.com
Tue Mar 10 19:46:37 EDT 2009

I now believe that the problem I was having with XASTIR hanging was not
related to new shapefiles.  Sometimes the problem would happen repetitively
in 15 mins or less and sometimes it would not occur for a wk.  I checked
for a "db4" mismatch (there have been new db updates for fedora 10) and
I was spending a bunch of time in ~/src/xastir/src/db.c.

Eventually I rebuilt everything
including all the packages that I used for XASTIR (/usr/local and
~/src/xastir/tmp) and things seemed much better.  However I now have
determined that festival is not working on this machine and xastir
was hanging when trying to get festival to do something like announce
new wx alert (festival from command line also not working).

So, either my hangs were the festival issue all along or I had multiple
issues some of which went away when I rebuilt everything.  I had been
chasing this for several wks before I sent my first message.  More than
once I thought I figured it out and made it go away.  cTHis time I am pretty
confident :-).

73,

K1KWP

Message: 2 Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:07:20 -0700 (PDT) From: "Curt, WE7U"
<archer at eskimo.com> Subject: Re: [Xastir] hangups after downloading updated NWS
shape files? To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion
<xastir at lists.xastir.org> Message-ID:
<alpine.LNX.1.10.0903100905010.21013 at wapiti2.we7u.net> Content-Type:
TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, kevin.paetzold
wrote:
 > > I now believe (I may be wrong but evidence is piling up) that the problem
 > > seems to be the result of my using the new get_NWSdata script which seems to
 > > download a new/different set of NWS shape files.  When I go back to the old
 > > shapefiles the problem seems to go away.

I haven't tried the new shapefiles yet, but by any chance have you
run any of the shapefile tools against the maps to see if one or
more of them may be corrupt?

Shapelib has always had a problem where if one or more of the maps
is corrupt, it dies, taking the app compiled with it down too.
Every once in a while I'll get a set of Shapefile maps that are bad
and have this problem.  Hasn't happened for a few years, but the
possibility is always there.

It's also possible that Xastir needs to be tweaked somehow to use
new maps that NWS is putting out, but that sort of thing doesn't
usually take us down.

-- Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com http://www.eskimo.com/~archer Lotto: A
tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown Windows: Microsoft's tax on
computer illiterates. - WE7U. The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the
coordinate system!"