[Xastir] problems with Xastir-Hardy VM and vmware tools?

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 00:47:25 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 6:19 AM, William McKeehan
<mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> wrote:
> Having a USB bootable version of Linux with Xastir installed would be a nice
> thing to have in your pocket. Has anyone done this and made it available for
> download?

A couple of weeks ago I made a custom live Xubuntu CD (iso image) with
Xastir (compiled from CVS) installed, then used the unetbootin app to
make a live usb flash drive.  It worked, but I decided to re-do it
because I had backed out several apps thinking I needed to make room
for Xastir and it's libraries.  I had forgotten while working on it
that the original size of the image was less than 600MB, so I probably
didn't need to remove anything.  Anyway, for various reasons I have
not finished the new version, and I may not get back to it until I
return from vacation the week after next.

> Every time I try to play with a USB bootable version of Linux, I get
> frustrated with the lack of support for my laptop's hardware (most notably,
> wireless networking) and give up.

Hmm, in that case, maybe an Xubuntu live USB stick won't work for you
if the Ubuntu flavor doesn't like your wireless chip.

So far the best wireless support I've seen out of the box has been
with Sabayon.  I ran the version 3.5 live DVD on my wife's 2005 Acer
laptop just to see how it would work with the Broadcom chip, and it
saw the network, asked me for the WPA2 key, and just worked.
Remembering that a friend had a Compaq laptop with a Broadcom chip, I
loaned him the DVD, and he had the same result.

Regards,
Lee