[Xastir] Xastir-1.9.5 compling error...

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 16:36:04 EDT 2009

> As I had mentioned in the above, where xastir is located in
> the /usr/share as typed above like /usr/share/xastir...
>
> It has the config, countries, fcc, GNIS, help, maps, sounds
> & symbols within it...
>
> Again one problem is when as I mentioned, is that when
> downloading fcc, it can't open the file, or dir, because
> it is not located in the /usr/local/share - - it is located
> in the /usr/share/xastir...
>
> The only thing that is in the /usr/local are these folders,
> bin, etc, games, include, lib, Livestation, man, sbin,
> seamonkey, share, & src...NO XASTIR
>
> But version xastir-1.9.5 is what I am having a problem with
> compiling it also mentioned in the above, what I now have is
> 1.9.2 from which I downloaded via synaptic...
>
> Thanks for the reply...But I am still in need of HELP!!

The defaults for Xastir are supposed to be /usr/local/share and other related directories but apparently the package maintainer has decided to change those defaults.

Now, technically this isn't the right way to do things but what you can do is just create a symbolic link:

ln -s /usr/share/xastir /usr/local/share/xastir

This will create a symbolic from the directory named /usr/share/xastir to the link name /usr/local/share/xastir and anything that looks for a file inside /usr/local/share/xastir will find their files.

Again, this is technically not the right way to do it because it can break things in the future.  If you use it, you must be sure to remove the link (rm /usr/local/share/xastir) before making any updates to Xastir so it doesn't overwrite something or cause other headaches.

The proper way would be to recompile Xastir from source but you're obviously having trouble with that, too, so this is a short term fix.