[Xastir] Xastir-Xubuntu Live CD/USB

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:19:13 EDT 2009

Recently there were some inquiries about live usb images for Xastir.
That piqued my interest, and after looking into it a bit, I concluded
the following:

- A standard ISO image normally written to a CD can also be written to a
  USB flash drive.
- Standard CD burning software such as K3B or Nero will easily burn an
  ISO image to a CD or DVD.
- A handy piece of software called unetbootin will write an ISO image to
  a USB flash drive and make the flash drive bootable.
- unetbootin can be downloaded at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Thanks to some good documentation from Ubuntu, I was able to modify an
Xubuntu 8.10 live CD image to include Xastir 1.95 installed from CVS.
Thanks to Bob Donnell, the image has been posted at the following
link.  There is also a text file posted containing the md5sum of the
iso file.

http://wetnet.net/~kd7nm/LiveCD/

I chose Xubuntu because there was plenty of room to add Xastir and its
dependencies without exceeding the ~700MB limit of a CD.

I have run this image live as well as installed it to a spare hard
drive.  In both cases I was on a Windows box doing it via usb - I had
used unetbootin to write the iso image to a 1GB flash drive.  Whether
running live or after installation, Xastir was there and launched
normally from a terminal.

One thing I haven't tried yet is installing it from the live 1GB usb
stick to an 8GB usb stick, which would result in a standard,
update-able installation on an external stick that has room for extra
maps, etc., but I'm expecting it to work.

Fyi, there is no desktop icon or menu item for Xastir in the iso image
- you have to start it from a command line by typing "xastir &"

The Xastir source files are in /home/src/XASTIR

Have fun,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX