[Xastir] Good, better, best non-attended APRS repeater/Igate equipment sets

Bruce W. Martin xastir at bwm.us
Thu Mar 26 11:13:49 EDT 2009

If I were setting up something like this I would probably start with
an Alinco DR-135 and a T2-135 from Scott Miller, N1VG. Add on a
computer with a hardware serial port running linux and javaprssrvr.
The hardest part is a computer that can stand the heat and can
communicate via RD232 serial. There are plenty of USB to serial
adapters but that seems to be the weak link whenever I hear of people
with problems communicating between their computer and a TNC or other
serial device.
You could also run Linux and Xastir on the computer and have it run as
an Igate but I think that javaprssrvr may be a bit more robust and
configurable as an Igate than Xastir is. Don't get me wrong I love
xastir and I used to use it as an Igate but I think that javaprssrvr
is the better tool for that purpose.

That is my thought on the matter, your milage may vary.

Bruce, KQ4TV

On Mar 26, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Jim Tolbert wrote:

> I tried this on the APRS forum, but had no response.   Can anyone
> make suggestions as to equipment sets, or can you suggest somewhere
> or someone to contact for guidance?   This may end up being a public
> funded tower and it might be nice to wrap everything into the same
> project.
>
> Many thanx................. jt

Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
Tennessee Balloon Group, NT4BG