[Xastir] Good, better, best non-attended APRS repeater/Igate equipment sets

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 27 01:13:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Bruce W. Martin wrote:

> If I were setting up something like this I would probably start with an
> Alinco DR-135 and a T2-135 from Scott Miller, N1VG. Add on a computer with a
> hardware serial port running linux and javaprssrvr. The hardest part is a
> computer that can stand the heat and can communicate via RD232 serial. There
> are plenty of USB to serial adapters but that seems to be the weak link
> whenever I hear of people with problems communicating between their computer
> and a TNC or other serial device.
> You could also run Linux and Xastir on the computer and have it run as an
> Igate but I think that javaprssrvr may be a bit more robust and configurable
> as an Igate than Xastir is. Don't get me wrong I love xastir and I used to
> use it as an Igate but I think that javaprssrvr is the better tool for that
> purpose.

How about a wireless ethernet router or a gigabit router running
OpenWRT and the ham radio add-ons?  That would be a tiny device
running Linux, with AX.25 kernel networking ports.  Add on a KISS
TNC or a Tracker2 TNC and a radio.  I suppose a DR-135T + a T2-135
TNC would fit the bill.

When "wetnet.net" comes back online (looks like it went down today
for some reason), check out the ham radio add-ons for OpenWRT there,
configurable via browser.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer