[Xastir] Good, better, best non-attended APRS repeater/Igate equipment sets

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 14:00:11 EDT 2009

Curt, WE7U wrote:

How about a wireless ethernet router or a gigabit router running
OpenWRT and the ham radio add-ons?  That would be a tiny device
running Linux, with AX.25 kernel networking ports.  Add on a KISS
TNC or a Tracker2 TNC and a radio.  I suppose a DR-135T + a T2-135
TNC would fit the bill.

When "wetnet.net" comes back online (looks like it went down today
for some reason), check out the ham radio add-ons for OpenWRT there,
configurable via browser.

---------------------

I've heard rumor(s) about folk in either the Fort Worth/Dallas or
Austin area of Texas who do something similar, but change the
frequency so the units are in the ham bands exclusively, I assume to
reduce "snooping".  Does wetnet do a frequency change?  Perhaps that
might reduce the security concern.  I'll see if I can get more info
on that.  Perhaps Gerry knows who the group might be.  What little I
know is second-hand.

BTW, I finally got a CR2032 battery and holder, and installed in the
PK232MBX.  It now stays in KISS mode without the need for my software
"crutch" to sync the baudrate and put it into KISS before calling
xastir.  And, the static Tiger maps look great.  The ham who will be
running this app at the EOC is "tickled pink" about the map quality.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT