[Xastir] Good, better, best non-attended APRS repeater/Igate equipment sets

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 27 14:25:33 EDT 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> I've heard rumor(s) about folk in either the Fort Worth/Dallas or Austin area
> of Texas who do something similar, but change the frequency so the units are
> in the ham bands exclusively, I assume to reduce "snooping".  Does wetnet do
> a frequency change?  Perhaps that might reduce the security concern.  I'll
> see if I can get more info on that.  Perhaps Gerry knows who the group might
> be.  What little I know is second-hand.

The reason they want to go to another frequency within the ham band
is typically to go to higher power.

The security concerns in most cases would be on the wired/internet
side of the box rather than the wireless side.  Many more people
would have access to the box if it were directly on the internet.
On the wireless side you have to be with a few hundred feet usually,
extend that to a few tens of miles if on a mountaintop and using
directional antennas to hit it.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer