[Xastir] Any interest for custom Ubuntu Live CD

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 22:58:49 EDT 2009

The answer is actually yes. The live CD's of the major distro's such
as Ubuntu are also installation CD's, so all one has to do when
running it live is to select the install icon on the desktop, which
launches the installer.  Once installed, Xastir is there along with
whatever other apps are included in the CD.

Although running the CD (or USB) live can be handy with Xastir, none
of the settings in Xastir or any other app will be saved.  Therefore
it is best to install the OS on either on a hard drive partition or on
a USB drive.  The capability to install the OS and have a fairly up to
date version of Xastir built-in was my primary motivation for
customizing the Xubuntu Live CD.  It's actually a viable alternative
to VMware or Cygwin for Windows users if it is installed onto a USB
drive.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX