[Xastir] $PGRMW waypoint support

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 15:37:25 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 02:20:08PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4wsv at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>> I've been considering a headless xastir installation for the truck.
>
> Why?  What do you get out of a headless Xastir installation?

I can have my cake and eat it, too. (:

For normal operation, xastir plots waypoints on my mapping GPS.

A bit o' microcontroller hacking could give me a text LCD display
similar to the D700 (fed from xastir's server port).

For a different view of the data, I can use an xastir snapshot farmed
out via web server to view on the iphone (over wifi).  There may even
be a way to VNC from the iPhone; I haven't checked.

For full xastir operation, use a laptop to vnc to the headless xastir
box for a full xastir display on a balloon chase (without the annoying
umbilical tying the laptop to the snarl of cables piled in the back
floorboard, which is usually how I operate).

Basically there are a lot of times I want a full xastir install, but I
can't figure out a decent way to permanently mount a full computer
display in the truck.  I'm thinking I can permanently mount everything
except the display, make it all solid and reliable, and add the
display (via VNC, VGA cable, etc) the times I really need it.

-Jason
kg4wsv