[Xastir] xastir will not come up

Fred Erickson fredferickson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 15:39:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 10:14 -0500, Denton K Larson wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a problem with my laptop. Here is what I've got.
>
> dlarson at dlarson-laptop-dell:~$ xastir

> festival_client: connect to server failed
> SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
> XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found?
> /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
> dlarson at dlarson-laptop-dell:~$
>
> I am at a loss to this. I did have it running but not more :-(  .
>
> Can anybody help me?
>
> Denton Larson WB0ZUR
> Arlington, MN

Hello Denton,

Since no one knowledgeable has answered yet, I'll give it a quick
answer. My 2x2.xbm file is locate in these two folders:

[fred at athbox ~]$ locate 2x2.xbm
/home/fred/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
/usr/local/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm

Have you tried the 'locate' command to see is you have a copy anywhere
else that you could copy to the folder mentioned in your error report?
Maybe it got corrupt or deleted by mistake?. I am using the current cvs
version of Xastir on Fedora 9.

Fred