[Xastir] xastir will not come up

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Oct 22 15:52:17 EDT 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Denton K Larson wrote:

> XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found? /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
> dlarson at dlarson-laptop-dell:~$
>
> I am at a loss to this. I did have it running but not more :-(  .

The ":~$" portion leads me to believe that you are in your home
directory.  Fine so far.

The first thing I thought of was that you were trying to run the
freshly compiled executable from xastir/src/ directory without
having run "make install" as root or sudo root, which would cause
the error you see.

It's still possible that you're trying to run Xastir without having
run the make install, but you would have had to put add a symlink,
or an alias, or changed your path to look in the xastir/src/
directory for the executable.  Did you do any of that?  If so,
remove the link/alias/path so that you're running Xastir from the
standard place.

Next, do "sudo make install" to get the proper files installed on
your system in the places Xastir will look for them.

Another possibility is that you have another copy of Xastir
installed (perhaps from an RPM/DEP/Other binary package?) that is
looking for the files in a different place, or that the binary
package was improperly made and didn't install all of the necessary
files.

Perhaps do a "which xastir" or "whereis xastir" to see what
executable you're trying to run.

The "standard" place that a CVS-compiled Xastir will look for the
file is /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm, as shown in the error
message you got.  For a binary package the package maintainer may
have chosen other locations.