[Xastir] xastir will not come up

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:45:26 EDT 2009

On 10/22/09, Denton K Larson <radioguy at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a problem with my laptop. Here is what I've got.
>
> dlarson at dlarson-laptop-dell:~$ xastir
>

> Built-in map types:
>       gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
>        pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
>        map   APRSdos Maps
>        map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
>        pdb   PocketAPRS Maps
>
> Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
>        geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
> allowed)
>        geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
>        shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
>        tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
>        xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
>        tab   MapInfo TAB
>        mid   MapInfo MID
>        mif   MapInfo MIF
>        ddf   Spatial Data Transfer Standard (SDTS)
>        rt1   US Census Bureau TIGER/Line
>        s57   International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) S-57
>        dgn   MicroStation DGN
>
> festival_client: connect to server failed
> SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
> XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found?
> /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
> dlarson at dlarson-laptop-dell:~$
>
> I am at a loss to this. I did have it running but not more :-(  .
>
> Can anybody help me?

I'm at work, so I have to rely on questionable memory, but it appears
that Xastir is looking for the file in /usr/share/xastir/symbols/ when
it is most likely in /usr/local/share/xastir/symbols - and as I
recall, the binary Xastir provided by Ubuntu installs things in
/usr/share while compiling Xastir from source installs things in
/usr/local/share.

So, I am guessing you switched from the binary Xastir to a newer
source based installation, and I suspect there is something left over
in your /home/dlarson/.xastir directory that is still pointing to
/usr/share instead of /usr/local/share.  If you don't need to save
anything in your configuration, the easiest way out is to simply
delete the .xastir directory and restart Xastir, which will create a
new directory with new config files.  If you do need to save your
Xastir configuration, then it's going to be a matter of figuring out
which config file needs to be changed.  That's about as far as I can
take it from a remote location.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX