[Xastir] xastir will not come up

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Oct 22 18:57:01 EDT 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Lee Bengston wrote:

> I'm at work, so I have to rely on questionable memory, but it appears
> that Xastir is looking for the file in /usr/share/xastir/symbols/ when
> it is most likely in /usr/local/share/xastir/symbols - and as I
> recall, the binary Xastir provided by Ubuntu installs things in
> /usr/share while compiling Xastir from source installs things in
> /usr/local/share.
>
> So, I am guessing you switched from the binary Xastir to a newer
> source based installation, and I suspect there is something left over
> in your /home/dlarson/.xastir directory that is still pointing to
> /usr/share instead of /usr/local/share.

If the above describes your problem nicely, then keep reading.

This was a common type of problem a few years back when we changed
the default location of the Xastir install.  Do this to solve the
problem:

Close Xastir first, then

     cd
     mv .xastir .xastir.save

Start up Xastir.  It will create a brand-new ~/.xastir directory and
populate it with defaults.  Now set up your callsign, location, and
interfaces again, using the ~/.xastir.save/config/xastir.cnf file to
refresh your memory if you forget what you had set before.  Do NOT
copy the old xastir.cnf file to the new directory as it has the
older paths in it and will just recreate the same problem.