[Xastir] New Xastir binary package for Ubuntu

David A Aitcheson david.aitcheson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 15:21:02 EDT 2010

On 08/09/2010 01:48 PM, Lee Bengston wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 10:49 PM, David A Aitcheson
> <david.aitcheson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/08/2010 10:58 PM, Lee Bengston wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Fyi, I posted a new binary Xastir 1.99 package for Ubuntu 10.04 based
>>> on source code from CVS built on August 7, 2010.  This captures the
>>> OSM tile support including the enhancements using libcurl.
>>>
>>> The download link is in the Wiki at
>>> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_10.04-binary
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Lee - K5DAT
>>> Murphy, TX
>>>
>> Lee,
>>
>> Make sure Kamal and/or Ubuntu-Hams are kept in the loop (CC'd this
>> time) so they can stay in step.  The last thing the groups need is
>> conflicting versions of Xastir that are out of step with one another.
>
> Dave,
>
> I can CC the Ubuntu-Hams list if you want, but fyi this is not a
> binary intended for launchpad.  It's built from pre-compiled source
> code using dpkg-deb as opposed to building it the 'debian' way.  I
> find it much easier to re-spin a new deb package when a significant
> change to Xastir comes along using the dpkg-deb method, and if I ever
> get around to scripting what I'm doing manually now, it will be
> extremely fast.
>
> Also fyi, the new deb package I just posted is a replacement for the
> package that was previously posted in July (which was a replacement
> for a previous version from either May or June), so it's not like I
> did something brand new here.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lee - K5DAT
> Murphy, TX

Guys,

Well some how a Launchpad PPA needs to stay reasonably close to the
latest CVS so it is more current than 1.9.4 that is currently in the
repository that is totally broken with the loss of Tiger Maps.

Do what you can if you can, otherwise I'll clean the mess up starting in
late December after Fall semester finals are done, and hope to get the
mess cleaned up by late January when Spring semester starts.

If someone can script a daily or weekly update to a PPA that is named
"XASTIR" that would then be picked up by Debian/Ubuntu then most of the
problems would be solved.  I do not have the time or knowledge to do so
at this time.

At 52 years old I _NEED_ to concentrate on my senior semesters at
university and get this Bachelors of Technology degree in Alternative
and Renewable Energy Systems done period.
http://www.canton.edu/csoet/alt_energy/

73
Dave
KB3EFS

Key: 0x897A0CC0
Fingerprint: 6E6B 8F72 56EF 32FD 6C64 5F65 37D9 01FC 897A 0CC0