[Xastir] Xastir 2.0.0 on Arch Linux

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Dec 21 13:43:20 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:44:11AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> > The original question has something to do with the install-data-hook trying
> > to copy files into $(mapdir), and the package creator trying to run those
> > commands before $(mapdir) is created, it appears. ?Without knowing anything
> > about Arch linux's package management scheme, I can only guess why that is
> > happening. ?Is it possible that Arch's package maker sets "DESTDIR" to
> > something other than a blank? ?I can imagine that perhaps it is installing to
> > some temporary location and then bundling everything up for install as a
> > package. ?If that's what it's doing, then the issue may be related to one
> > that Jeremy Utley brought up back in November, and which was fixed in a
> > post-Release-2.0.0 update. ?Try building your package from CVS Xastir instead
> > of the stable release tarball, and see if this problem goes away.
>
> The above sounds right.  Jeremy Utley's message reported an error
> associated with the text below:
>
> install-data-hook:
>        cd $(mapdir) && \
>        rm -f CC_OpenStreetMap.png && \
>        $(LN_S) CC_OpenStreetMap_logo.png CC_OpenStreetMap.png
>
> Look familiar?  Jeremy was also building a binary package (for
> Fedora), so it appears you have encountered the same issue.

Also, if you would rather not do the CVS thang, you can patch your Makefile.am
and rebootstrap to get the same fix into 2.0.0.  Just change the lines
above in Makefile.am to:

install-data-hook:
       cd $(DESTDIR)$(mapdir) && \
       rm -f CC_OpenStreetMap.png && \
       $(LN_S) CC_OpenStreetMap_logo.png CC_OpenStreetMap.png

and run bootstrap.sh to regenerate the Makefile.ins (you will need autoconf and
automake installed to do that part, but you also need those for CVS xastir
anyway).  Then reconfigure and try building with the package management tool.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."