[Xastir] Xastir 2.0.0 on Arch Linux

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Dec 21 19:08:02 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:40:52AM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mph at swcp.com> flavor, containing:

> > Also, if you would rather not do the CVS thang, you can patch your Makefile.am
> > and rebootstrap to get the same fix into 2.0.0.  Just change the lines
> > above in Makefile.am to:
> >
> > install-data-hook:
> >         cd $(DESTDIR)$(mapdir)&&  \
> >         rm -f CC_OpenStreetMap.png&&  \
> >         $(LN_S) CC_OpenStreetMap_logo.png CC_OpenStreetMap.png
> >
> > and run bootstrap.sh to regenerate the Makefile.ins (you will need autoconf and
> > automake installed to do that part, but you also need those for CVS xastir
> > anyway).  Then reconfigure and try building with the package management tool.
> >

> I did the edit to Makefile.am as suggested above using $(DESTDIR) and
> Arch's more logical choices of $(pkgdatadir) and $(prefix).  In all
> three cases ./bootstrap.sh ran to completion after the edit, yet Arch's
> makepkg always aborts at exactly the same place as I indicated in the
> original post.  What is interesting is that inspection of Makefile.am
> immediately after every abort shows that it has reverted back to the
> original, unedited line
>
>                              cd $(mapdir) && \

That is *extremely* bizarre, because there should be nothing that bootstrap
can do to overwrite Makefile.am.  That's supposed to be *input* to automake.

> I suspect there is some global/environmental variable I need to set in
> the makepkg.conf file to prevent makepkg from choking.  I want to
> re-emphasize that makepkg runs fine on the original PKGBUILD with the
> 1.9.8 tarball and that I can build a 2.0.0 binary just fine outside of
> makepkg.  I apologize if this question is too distro-specific for this
> mailing list.  I can take it to the Arch forums if necessary.

The reason that 1.9.8 worked Just Fine was that this install-data-hook did not
exist in that version.

> Mike WB2FKO/DL

I recognize that call.  You are a local to me (or at least, qrz.com says
you live in Albuquerque).  If you would like, I could get together with you
and try to work it out in meatspace.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."