[Xastir] Weather station type

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 10:13:31 EST 2010

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Dean wrote:

> What do I need to do so that my Weather Station Type is passed with my frames?
>
> I am currently using a Davis Vantage Pro, with Meteo and DB2APRS.  I do not have
> an APRS specific data logger.
>
> Per the Meteo documentation, I have my Station Type set to "VantagePro" in the
> Meteo XML file.
>
> My Weather Station type is simply being interpreted as "Xastir 1.9.8", from the
> APX198 TOCALL in my frames.

I looked at your raw packets on aprs.fi and there definitely is no
weather station type added to the end of the packets.  Depending on
the weather packet type it's possible per the APRS spec to transmit
the type of weather station as an extension on the end.  For some
types of weather stations we can do that in Xastir.

The code in wx.c is looking for "xDvs" to parse out the Davis
w/Meteo & db2aprs packets.  Page 63 of APRS spec 1.0 says "Dvs" to
signify Davis, so that's what you're looking to be transmitting.  I
don't know how that figures in to the Meteo and/or db2aprs
configuration, if any.

Ah, the "x" means Linux per the spec, so you do want to add the
"xDvs" string onto the end of the "Positionless Weather Report" per
the spec.  Whether Xastir needs to be tweaked in order to do that is
now the question, or whether db2aprs can or should add that on the
end of the packets it presents to Xastir.