[Xastir] Deb distro with Mepis 11 ?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 29 13:45:24 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:07:53AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Tony Hunt wrote:
>
> > When are we going to get free from these cursed black maps in
> > debian distros ? The problem has been there now for over 2 years.
>
> The Xastir project doesn't do packaging of binaries.  We only
> release source code.  It's up to the maintainers of the binary
> packages for Debian to update those.

The black maps issue is the 8-bit vs. 16-bit quantum issue in *magick.  It
was fixed in Xastir in December of 2009, corresponding to Xastir version 1.9.8.

It'll go away when the package maintainers (who are not here on this list)
get around to updating the package.

> > Any quick fix ideas for this one ? I have not got alot of time to play about unfortunately.
> > Ive installed xastir 1.94 from the repositries but unfortunately
> > it still suffers from the black maps magic/motif problem in that
> > release . I can make it work by converting the culprit jpg map
> > files to gifs if I have to. Of course having v1.99 and OSM is
> > something that would be really amazing also.
>
> 1.9.4 is very old.  1.9.9 is also old.  You want 2.0.0 (most recent
> stable release) or 2.0.1 (latest CVS sources).
>
> I always install from sources, plus don't use any of the
> distributions you're talking about, so can't help you directly (I
> use OpenSuSE mostly).

Depending on Debian packages is the problem.  They're too slow to adopt
new versions of Xastir.  The package maintainers (if there are any) are not
Xastir users, and do not subscribe to these groups, so they are unaware of
Issues other than those that are reported to them directly.

Some users here have occasionally made PPAs for Ubuntu (unofficial package
sources with more up-to-date versions) but those are unlikely to help you for
Mepis.

Pitch the package management for Xastir unless you're willing to settle for
ancient versions or take over maintenance of the package.  To date nobody who
actually uses Xastir has been willing to take that latter step.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."