[Xastir] Right Click "Capture Effect"

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 10:41:59 EST 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Tim Billingsley wrote:

> I was very happy before KDE4. If it ain't broke, leave it alone!
>
> I got so many thing that would not work I broke down and did a full
> reinstall and now I have things that should work that do not. I loaded
> up xfce but I still get the "capture effect" so any suggestions as I
> prepare to revamp the entire system?
>
> Any suggestions on WMs or distros? I have been very pleased with sidux
> for years, but KDE4 has got to go and I am told that it supposedly
> doesn't work well with Gome.

People happily use Xastir with many different window managers, so it
mostly just comes down to personal choice.

Most people would not want to run what I do these days, but it's
working well for my kids and myself:  FVWM2.  It's strictly a window
manager, not a desktop environment like KDE or Gnome.  Lean and
mean.  It doesn't get in your way.  Great for slower machines too:
KDE and Gnome always seemed to slow my machines down too much, plus
they're a bit too Windows-like for my tastes.

On my root desktop I have zero icons and only a "pager" so I can get
to any of my 20 virtual desktops.  No status bar or docking area
either.  Everything gets kicked off from menus or from an xterm.  I
click anywhere on a free area of the desktop to bring up my menus.

The desktop OS of choice here for several years has been OpenSuSE.
I'm currently running 11.1 and 11.2 on various machines.  Note that
I had to install a separate dock app on the laptop to enable use of
knetworkmanager/NetworkManager for ease of wireless connections.
FVWM doesn't have any way to dock and the stupid app required it.

Also with OpenSuSE 11.2 they took the power monitoring app I used to
use and integrated it directly into KDE, so I can't use it anymore
and need to find a replacement.  I've already had one instance where
the laptop batteries ran out.  It shut down suddenly because I had
no power monitoring app to warn me that the batteries were getting
low.  More integration is not always a good thing, sometimes it
leaves others high and dry.