[Xastir] Automake & Bit Depth

Chip G. n1mie at mac.com
Thu Jan 7 07:44:28 EST 2010

Two issues I'd like to discuss and get some guidance.

1. Automake. I've had this problem before, I searched for help online and quickly found my own round of messages between myself, Tom, and Curt. That was enough to get me fixed without too much delay. The problem appears to be that my package manager (Fink) sometimes downgrades my Automake to an older version and causes me to the ability to cleanly compile Xastir. Reinstalling the correct version of Automake makes things immediately work again. The symptom is that Xastir won't start and throws a message about not finding xastir.rgb but has a path on it that is obviously wrong (starts with /xastir and there is no directory like that on my machine), there are also a lot more than normal warnings during the linking and compiling. This is frustrating since automake1.5 has been out-of-date for at least 8 years. I've posted a request for guidance on the Fink list. Anyway I thought I'd share the problem as it's pretty odd (and obscure). The errors given are pretty unrelated to the true problem.

2. GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick. How can you tell what bit depth is installed? This is installed by my package maintainer, so I don't have control over it at compile time. I prefer this vice a manual compile as it will allow me to easily stay up-to-date. The reason I ask is because of a symptom I'm seeing (and have seen for awhile) and something I'd read here before. The symptom is that colors are way off on Tigermaps (online). I'm seeing parks in black, highway labels are black (can't read the number as it's black too). I have another computer with the exact same version of the same program (im/gm) installed and it displays Tigermaps properly. So I'm confused as to why one works and the other doesn't.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn