[Xastir] Fedora 12 Xastir curso problem

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 16:59:24 EST 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, George Karayannis wrote:

> ...on various clean install Fedora 12 distros (2 native and
> 2 Virtualbox) [yum install] I have installed xastir but always get the
> same issue with the cursor. After a little bit of time the xastir window
> 'grabs' the cursor, that actually reverses and gets a left to right
> orientation, it cannot operate on any menus and actually stays confined
> in the window.

I recall people complaining about right-click problems with Fedora
12 recently, but not the exact issue you're reporting.  It sounds
like perhaps Xorg is missing some mouse clicks and then you're in
mouse-click no-man's land after that point.

Have you tried doing Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or Ctrl-Alt-F2) to get to a text
login, then logging in and killing the Xastir session and restarting
Xastir?  You can type "Alt-F7" to switch back to your graphical
Linux (on OpenSuSE at least, try others 'cuz yours may be on a
different console).

Another option is to try restarting your window manager if you have
that option, but it sounds like you're stuck in the application and
can't get out.

> On a recent CentOS 5.4 clean install (being a linux noob I was rather
> impressed with meself both hihihi) xastir compiled nicely and works
> non-stop on a remote networked box without any such issues. That is also
> the case with my Ubuntu machines, leaving only F12 wanting.

I run CentOS 5.x on various servers, but there's no Xastir on those
machines.  One thing you'll find with CentOS is that a lot of the
packages are old.  It's great for servers where you want years of
run-time (seven years of support!), but not always so good for a
client machine where you often have to keep a bit more up-to-date.

> Btw I have moved from M$ to linux, last year, starting with Ubuntu, and
> I have recently started digging the red hat variants (mind you I get
> impressed when I get a nice compile or even that darn wireless on centos
> hihi) and have thoroughly enjoyed the process, all my office - QTH
> machines now are either primarily or at the very least dual boot linux,
> leaving only my APRS igate on XP.

If you like RPM-based distributions (it appears that you do!), you
might try OpenSuSE-11.2.  I'm running 11.1 and 11.2, both 32-bit and
64-bit variants, on various machines at work and home.  My kids run
11.2 as well, and they're into gaming so always want the
latest-latest.  Xastir runs great on OpenSuSE.  You could stick to
the *buntu variants also.