[Xastir] Installing latest on hardy?

Jim jim at k4gvo.com
Thu Jul 22 16:35:54 EDT 2010

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:
>
>> Just for documentation, port 17500 is used by Dropbox to listen for
>> other servers on the network.  If I figure out how to turn it off and
>> keep Dropbox running I'll pass it on.
>
> Our Wiki page here:
>
>     http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:AX.25
>
> Mentions Samba, icecream, Cups, and Linux games.  We _could_ add to
> this list and/or add specifics for tweaking each to get them to stop
> talking out the AX.25 ports.  We could also talk about Firewall
> rules and how to stop things that way.  If anyone wishes to add to
> the Wiki page there, feel free.  Just keep it easy to read and
> hopefully not too complex for new users.

Dropbox documentation done.

I shudder at the thought of iptables configuration.  I don't think I
could have come up with a more arcane set of commands if I tried.  It
just shouldn't be that hard to say "Let all|[only x [y]...]|noone send|
receive using protocol [(proto)] on port [n (through m)] using interface
... etc.  Somebody wanted job security that came up with iptables!

Thanks,
Jim.