[Xastir] I've broken my Xastir install :-(

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jun 15 12:05:55 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 01:55:43AM +1000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ibennett at tpg.com.au> flavor, containing:
> 	But (and isn't there always), when I right-click on the map, the pop-up
>       menu doesn't stay there for me to make a selection.
> 	I seem to remember something about a "right-click problem" but that
>       related to Fedora. Anyone seeing something similar with (K)Ubuntu 8.04??

This is an unfortunate side-effect of the workaround that was put in to
deal with broken X servers  Xorg-server 1.7.5 has a bug that affects *all*
programs that use motif, locking the mouse anytime the program tries to
pop-up a menu,  That is the "right-click problem" you're remembering, and
while Fedora was the first system to show it, many other systems now have it.

Since more and more distros are coming out that use Xorg-server 1.7.5 and
don't patch it, it was necessary to put a work-around into Xastir to get it
to work at all on those systems.

With the work-around in place, the pop-up menu currently pops up only as long
as you hold down the mouse button.  This is better than what it does with that
broken server, which is to lock the mouse.

Hopefully, since this bug in the X server has supposedly been fixed, this
work-around will only need to be temporary.  Unfortunately, it's not easy
to tell in the code when it's talking to a broken server, so the workaround
has to be in place unconditionally.

 "It is better to live on your feet than to die with your knees."
  -- Mil Millington on running, in Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life