[Xastir] FOLLOW-UP: One last problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Mar 14 21:30:11 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 08:59:06PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <k8jwt at comcast.net> flavor, containing:
> Sorry about not replying to the list thread as I have been pulling my hair
> out trying to get thing to work.
>
> Well I finally got frustrated with Fedora12 and stripped it off of the
> computer and installed Debian without any Gnome, KDE, etc...
>
> I am just wanting it to run as a Igate server and that is all this computer
> is ever going to do till it dies.
>
> Also looking into APRSD as well...

Skip APRSD.  The current standard igate software is javAPRSSrvr, and it's
well suited to the task.  If all you want is an igate, that's the software
you should be using, not a graphical client like Xastir that has igating
as an extra feature (I used Xastir for years as igate software, but now run
my igate with javAPRSSrvr and use Xastir just as a client).

http://www.aprs-is.net/javaprssrvr/

Relatively easy to set up, perfectly suited to the task, and well-maintained
(aprsd has a number of bugs that require patching, and finding the right
place to download the patches can be a challenge).

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation