[Xastir] Getting message in terminal window - what does it mean?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 10:44:16 EDT 2010

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010, Norman Heyen wrote:

> I have the tigermap.geo loaded and it seems OK.
>
> When I try to load the .SHP files in the list, I get error messages about
> not having valid DBFAWK or something along those lines. Obviously I don't
> have something quite right. Any thoughts about that?

Which Shapefiles?

dbfawk files customize how Shapefiles are drawn in Xastir.  If you
don't have dbfawk files that match your maps, Xastir doesn't know
how to do this customization while drawing.

If we know which Shapefiles you're trying to load we might be able
to point you to dbfawk files that will work with them, or tell you
that there haven't been any created yet.  You can create your own
with a little reading and practice.

> Maybe part of the problem is that I don't know what it should act like...
> I'm assuming there should be some sort of weather alert or warning for most
> of the county for flood warnings or watches with the melting snow. At least
> that is what shows up on the TV forecasts.

It used to work that way, but the server that was feeding us the
alerts went away.  A new and different one is in place now, but it
doesn't feed us the quantity of alerts that the old one did.  I
believe it only sends the most urgent sorts of alert messages out.