[Xastir] Xastir in dual mode

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sat May 15 02:57:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010, J Hunter wrote:

> I have Xastir running on a laptop and a TinyTrak4, I also have one of the
> Argent GPS units. Now when I connect the TT4 to the laptop I am able to see
> other APRS units in the area. When I connect the GPS unit to TT4 using the
> splitter cable I am able to see my position on aprs.fi but not on my laptop.
> I've tried to set up the GPs unit with Xastir using both options in the
> device settings but no joy. When I try to introduce the GPS unit using one of
> the two options I am unable to see any of the other APRS units in the area.

If you're _not_ running the TT4 in KISS mode then you might have a
chance...  If the TT4 supports "AUX" mode, also known as "Control-E"
or "PicoPacket" mode.  This is where the computer sends a Control-E
to the port and the TNC reports back the GPS string.  I have no idea
whether the TT4 supports this mode, but some TNC's do.  If no, talk
to Byon and see if he can implement it.

That's your best hope for supporting both TNC and GPS on a single
port properly.

Alternative:  HSP cables suck for sharing two devices on one port.
I know 'cuz I used to run this way as an experiment.  Don't go that
way unless you have no other choice.  You'll end up with truncated
strings from both the TNC and the GPS, causing weird stations to be
heard and lots of packets and locations to be missed by Xastir.