[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 54, Issue 27

Guy Story KC5GOI kc5goi at gmail.com
Sun May 23 12:10:46 EDT 2010

I got my maps working yesterday evening.  There was not much of a learning
curve for me on this one since WinAPRS uses the same format with the
exception of the image size field and that was easy.  I am currently having
tie point accuracy issues but I can get that taken care of.  My maps are not
lining up to the Tiger maps, sometimes off by close to a half mile and
distorted image. For the record, I have that issue with WinAPRS sometimes to
so I believe it is a LONG/LAT to pixel problem on my end.  I fixed those so
I know I can fix these. I will play with it more as time permits.

Thanks.

Guy

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM, <xastir-request at lists.xastir.org> wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 17:34:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Curt, WE7U" <curt.we7u at gmail.com>
> To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] PNG,GIF,TIFF,or JPEG images as maps
>
> On Sun, 23 May 2010, Ian Bennett wrote:
>
> >       The IMAGESIZE was found using the "identify" program which is part
> of the
> > Imagemagick suite of tools (I think).
>
> Yes.
>
> You could also use the GraphicsMagick tool which does the same
> thing, I think "gm identify" or "gm -identify" or similar.
>

> >       Given you are referencing two points on the map by pixel location,
> I can't
> > see why you absolutely have to use top left and bottom right. I haven't
> > tested this though as I know the lat/long for the top left and bottom
> right
> > of the images I use.
>
> I believe this is correct, however you want to have as much vertical
> separation and as much horizontal separation between the two points
> selected as you can possible manage, to try to keep as much accuracy
> as possible.  Try for points near or at two diagonal corners if
> possible.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.                         <http://www.eskimo.com/~archer<http://www.eskimo.com/%7Earcher>
> >
>    APRS:  Where it's at!                    <http://www.xastir.org>
>   Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
> Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
> The world DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate system!"
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 21:30:29 -0500
> From: Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com>
> To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] PNG,GIF,TIFF,or JPEG images as maps
>
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Ian Bennett <ibennett at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > Lee,
> > ? ? ? ?Here is one (of many) I use. It's fairly self explanatory. This
> file is
> > called tuggeranong.geo
> >
> > FILENAME ? ?tuggeranong.jpg
> > TIEPOINT ? ?0 ? ? ? ? ? 0 ? ? ? 149.001207 ? ? ?-35.373442
> > TIEPOINT ? ?5668 ? ? ? ?3471 ? ?149.251204 ? ? ?-35.498439
> > IMAGESIZE ? 5668 ? ? ? ?3471
> > #
> > # Converted by Benny's script
> > #
> >
> > ? ? ? ?The IMAGESIZE was found using the "identify" program which is part
> of the
> > Imagemagick suite of tools (I think).
> > ? ? ? ?Given you are referencing two points on the map by pixel location,
> I can't
> > see why you absolutely have to use top left and bottom right. I haven't
> > tested this though as I know the lat/long for the top left and bottom
> right
> [...]
73

Guy Story KC5GOI
kc5goi at gmail.com