[Xastir] Kenwood TM-D710 TNC Configuration question

Joel Kershner asmodianx at cowtowncomputercongress.org
Sun Nov 28 14:30:37 EST 2010

I have been searching the web for answer to this question with not
much luck, a whole lot of questions and not a lot of answers.

Some how I think its more complex than setting Xastir to use a config
file with the configuration string "KISS ON".

During my research I found some one (Patrik Stromdahl, SM7NWJ.) who
claimed that they had a working config file for the D710.

# $Id: tnc-startup.d710,v 1. 2009/06/03 10:28:58 sm7nwj Exp $
#
# Patrik Stromdahl, SM7NWJ.
#
# TNC Init file for KENWOOD TM-D710.
#
#Don't send CONTROL-C before this line
##META <no-ctrl-c>
##META <ctrl-c>
##META <ctrl-c>
##META <ctrl-c>
TC 1
##Pause for one second
##META <delay>
##META <delay>
##META <no-ctrl-c>
# You will have to select:
# TN 2,0 for band A
# TN 2,1 for band B
# on line below
TN 2,0
# Pause for one second, so that the TNC finishes it's startup.
##META <delay>
##META <delay>
# It's correct to duplicate ECHO and BEACON commands below.
ECHO OFF
##META <delay>
BEACON EVERY 0
##META <delay>
ECHO OFF
##META <delay>
BEACON EVERY 0
HBAUD 9600

But when I init the TNC using this it displays the firmware version
information and I dont get any TNC information into Xastir.

When I use a terminal I see APRS traffic just fine.

Configuring it as a straight KISS TNC hasnt worked well either.

Suggestions?

-=- Joel Kershner -=-
KD0HKI
Cowtown Computer Congress Kansas City ARC KD0IXQ