[Xastir] KISS Firmware and further testing

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 08:41:04 EDT 2010

I wasn't able to make it work with the Alpha firmware but after the most
recent testing, I am going to give the Alpha firmware another try, now
that I have it working. Yes, finally, I have it up and running in KISS
Mode with Xastir.

I thought maybe getting Michael's settings (KB1QXO) from his working TT4
and KISS and that didn't pan out. Talked with several local hams and it
was all supposed to be pretty straight forward but to no avail.

After much frustration and confusion, I pulled back and tried from the
perspective of a newly received TT4.

I uploaded the KISS firmware to the TT4. Looking at Scott's page on
KISS, it didn't jump out at me at first on settings because I never
loaded the KISS firmware. I wondered where he was getting these settings
that I was seeing on his help page.
(http://www.vk7hse.hobby-site.org/wiki/index.php/Kiss_TNC )

With the firmware, I found that you have to set the receive
amplification. You have three settings. 0, 1 and 2. In conjunction with
the audio input and typing "A" to monitor the received packet (best to
have a second radio listening to the traffic so when you hear a packet,
you can press "A" in Terra Term and see what the TT4 is seeing when the
packet is heard), you will see a one liner of percentages. As I
understand it, you want a percentage about middle range. Mine ended up
being about 52%. Initially, I adjusted the radio speaker to a
comfortable listening level and then backed off a bit, plugged the cable
and waited for a burst of packet. Once heard, pressed "A" and it read
the input, thus displaying a percentage. Further on, I am to understand
that if you have a 0-99% reading, it is over its limit and will not
decode. Someone can correct me on that one.

This is presented because even though I have been a ham for over 20
years, I have never dealt with KISS. In all of my reading, searching and
asking, I was not able to get clear instructions from the baby bottle
perspective on what to do. I know that you have to take the leash off
and learn some on your own or else you won't learn it but there is just
no simple instruction on how to set up KISS mode. That's not just with
this TNC. I even checked my old AEA 232 and found nothing in the book
about KISS, other than it was a mode you could put the TNC in and to get
out of it you press Ctrl - C three times to get out of it.

I am working on an html help file which provides step by step procedures
for setting up in KISS using the KISS firmware. Again, I do plan on
trying the Alpha firmware and have high hopes for it, now that I
understand a whole lot more about what is needed to make the computer
decode in conjunction with the TNC. I hope this helps other hams down
the road who want to try their luck at Xastir and KISS.

73
John