[Xastir] Tiger maps?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 15:46:20 EDT 2010

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Michael Lewis wrote:

> Would I be missing any other files because the towns don't show up when I
> zoom in closer? Or would that be a setting in Xastir it's self?

Could be either.

I don't have Tiger2009 installed here, but have Tiger2008.  I just
selected each file in a county directory one-by-one and didn't see
city names show up either, but did see the yellow filled areas
representing those towns.

> You know what
> part sucked is having a hard drive crash on you about a week after you
> installed Xastir lucky for me I did not do much other then just install from
> the version that came with mint..

Backups...

I instituted backups at home finally for three machines and a
laptop, all controlled via one desktop, backing up to an external
hard drive.  Using BackupPC for that.

Plus I just mirrored my home directory on my main box.  If one drive
goes out I don't lose anything (so two layers of backups for that
mount when you include the BackupPC backup).

I use a few different backup schemes at work, but just set up Amanda
again on one machine to back up another two machines.  I had
recently lost one of the mirrored drives in that box, so set it up
again with two newer drives (plus a spare on the shelf) that are
larger.

Some people like to back up important files to CD, DVD
(R/W/eraseable perhaps?) or even flash drives.

One thing that _will_ happen again and again:  Hard drives will
fail.  Plan for it.  I've lost many drives over the years but
haven't lost anything important yet.