[Xastir] Tiger maps?

Michael Lewis subarub4 at optimum.net
Sun Sep 5 14:51:36 EDT 2010

  On 9/5/2010 2:26 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Michael Lewis wrote:
>
>> As for the other Xastir not too sure how to remove it.. I might just
>> leave it I'm just on linux because of Xastir so much code to just get
>> something simple to run.
>
> Ha.  ;-)
>
> Xastir itself is over 100,000 lines of C-code (that's not counting
> comments or white-space).  It compiles/runs on a wide variation of
> operating systems.  Right now with the technology used for the build
> system in Xastir, what you just did is about as simple as it gets.
> People worked hard on those scripts to make them work for most
> situations.  Without the bootstrap.sh and configure scripts you'd
> have had to hand-edit the Makefiles throughout the tree structure
> for your system, and I can guarantee you wouldn't have like that!
> hi hi
>
> BTW:  The "configure;make;make install" invocation is pretty much
> what you'll expect of most open-source apps out there if you install
> from sources.  Once you've been around Linux/Unix for a while and
> have installed things from the bleeding edge sources, you'll get
> quite used to it.
>
> Glad you got it going, and the Festival/Festival-devel install, then
> configure;make;make install for Xastir shouldn't take long.
> Festival must be running daemon mode by the way, before Xastir.
> Since you got it running before there shouldn't be any difficulties
> with that part the next time around.

Would I be missing any other files because the towns don't show up when
I zoom in closer? Or would that be a setting in Xastir it's self? You
know what part sucked is having a hard drive crash on you about a week
after you installed Xastir lucky for me I did not do much other then
just install from the version that came with mint.. but this is the
first time I've had installed from source not that bad but I need to do
it a few more times before I feel good enough at it.