[Xastir] Xastir 1.9.9 help

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 18:51:04 EDT 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Michael Lewis wrote:

> Curt I will have to get back to you on this one I think it's set to KISS mode
> but I will have to check when I come back.. really odd how it shows as being
> connected in Xastir on /dev/ttyusb0 but no data shows in it and pressing
> transmit now has no effect.

Rgr.  Might be permissions or owner/group for that port.  Normally
you want to add your user to the group that has that port, then log
out and back in again to get that new group membership for that
user.

For instance, I don't have any USB to serial devices on this
computer, so I'll show you some of my /dev/ttyS* devices:

   > ls -al ttyS*
   crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 64 2010-09-09 09:38 ttyS0
   crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 65 2010-09-09 09:38 ttyS1
   crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 66 2010-09-09 09:38 ttyS2
   crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 67 2010-09-09 09:38 ttyS3

The group owner of these is "dialout", and the permissions allow the
group members to read and write to these ports.  I'd add my user to
the dialout group to allow the user to talk to them.  The "other"
permissions are blank, which means the only ones able to read/write
the ports are members of the dialout group, and root.  Don't run
Xastir as root.

If the TNC is in KISS mode, make sure you're using the Serial KISS
TNC interface to talk to it from Xastir.  Or set up AX.25 kernel
networking and use an AX.25 interface from Xastir (a bit more work
but allows sharing the port among multiple programs).