[Xastir] Xastir 1.9.9 help

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 13:12:54 EDT 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Michael Lewis wrote:

> hmm I'm in the same boat as you John.. I checked to see which port was given
> to my Serial-to-USB by typing in "demsg" and it's on /dev/ttyUSB0 Ok so with
> that said I go in xastir and enter in that info and so on and click on start
> and it "connects" or so.. However after getting my GPS lock and all and
> pressing transmit now nothing never happens. Incoming packets cause the
> Carrier Detect light to blink rapidly. I looked  at the PK commands in the
> config to see what my own packets looks like and it never showed anything
> unless I did something wrong.

Have you checked the View->Incoming Data dialog to see what Xastir
thinks it is getting?

You can also start Xastir from an xterm in debug mode and see what
Xastir spits out as it receives a packet.  Try this invocation:

     xastir -v 4095 &

If you want to capture all the output to file you might try this:

     (xastir -v 4095 2>&1) | tee xastir.log

> Also a think about linux is for things to work upper and lower case really
> does have a effect... I learned that out when first starting with linux.

Not just Linux, try "Any other OS besides DOS/Windows."  MS really
did a job on everyone else by making their stuff non-case-sensitive.
Now all these Windows people are looking for something better and
having trouble adapting to the way the rest of the world does
things.

Don't get me started on line-end characters (Unix/Mac/Windows all
had to use something different), or how MS must invent new names for
everything yet still implement the same types of things as everyone
else, but choose to change them just enough to be incompatible with
everyone else.

Ok, enough MS-bashing for one morning.  Tomorrow's another day!  Oh
yea, the Microhams Digital Conference is this Saturday at the MS
campus in Redmond, WA.  I think you had to pre-register though.
I'll know quite a few people attending that.

ARRL/TAPR DCC is the following weekend in Vancouver, WA.  Anyone
here going?

Pacific NW VHF Conference is the weekend after that.  Busy month for
ham radio.