[Xastir] snag trying to install shapelib via source onto mac os X 10.5

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 22:29:52 EDT 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, T Wegner wrote:

> I am in the process of installing Xastir on my Powerbook G4 (10.5.8) using
> the instructions at http://www.wx9grb.org/xastir/mac.htm which are attributed
> to Dana Rawding, N1OFZ (uses MacPorts for all but shapelib and geotiff).

Have you check out this area as well?

     http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Installation_Notes#Mac_OSX

> I tried:
> cd /usr/local
> ls
>
> and can see 3 items in the "local" folder, one of which is "lib"
>
> but when I did:
> cd /usr/local/lib
> ls
>
> I get "bash: cd: /usr/local/lib: Not a directory"

Try "ls -al /usr/local" and see if "lib" is listed as "drw" for the
first few chars.  "d" is a directory.

Is that an Intel-processor Mac?  A reasonably new OS?  If so you
might try Jeremy McDermond's pre-compiled Xastir for the Mac.  I
don't know the OS requirements for running it.